Wednesday, February 17, 2016

The Language of the Brag

Out of all the poems I could have chosen, I chose this one because of the raw power behind its imagery, its themes, and its unique structure. I believe the strongest aspect of this poem definitely lies within its voice. As the chapter discusses previously, poetic voice allows diction to become content. When diction transitions into content, the poet is able to "...reveal their way of looking at the world the moment they open their mouths" (311). In "The Language of the Brag," diction dictates both the atmosphere and "vibe" of the poem and also the content of the poem. Sharon Olds imbues her first stanza with a strong theme of masculinity by using the connotations of phrases such as "knife-throw," "strong and accurate arms," and most obviously, the phrase "heavily vibrating like the cock." Interestingly enough, Olds breaks the reader's expectation for the rest of the poem by the third stanza. Now, in masculinity's stead, stands femininity represented by the physical pains of pregnancy. Phrases such as "breasts oozing mucus," "my belly big with cowardice and safety," and "my stool black with iron pills" conjure an entirely different feel to go along with the poem. As opposed to the spirit of brass showmanship, we now have a sense of the emotional and physical pains and pressures that come along with pregnancy.

 I believe this poem stood out to me because of how much it reminded me of how my mother describes pregnancy. I've always been reared to appreciate pregnancy for the same matters discussed in "The Language of the Brag." Pregnancy isn't a soft, "lollipop lane" experience. Its a long, arduous, and wondrous journey not intended for the faint of heart. Courage, heroism, "an epic use for an excellent body," are all things that come out of pregnancy and this can be seen throughout the lines in Olds' poem.



1 comment:

  1. Wow! I can tell this poem really spoke to you. When I initially read this piece I too felt how impactful it was and you did a good job of expressing that. Its refreshing to hear a male appreciate pregnancy just as much as women do.

    ReplyDelete