Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Blog 3: Fathers by Grace Paley

Of all the poems, I have to say I enjoyed "Fathers" the most, though that's not saying much. It's possible that it's just because I've never particularly been a fan of poetry - reading or writing, it doesn't matter. That being said, I found Paley's poem to be relatively pleasant. I really, really liked the grammatical structure of it; how the only capitalized words are proper nouns and the first word of the poem. I don't think it's a really smooth read, but I think I actually liked it because it added to the message. Throughout the whole poem, it was incredibly easy for me to picture the scenarios described. The subject of the poem is kind of hard to relate to, though, because I'm not at the age where I can experience the "new" fathers, but I also don't relate to the "older" fathers. The way it works, though, is that the style of the poem - the constant, unexpected changing of ideas/subjects - mirrors that of the changing style of being a father. To be completely honest, though, all in all, I can't say there was anything that made me react in any strong way.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you strongly about the grammatical structure. Although it confused me often, I do agree that it added to the structure and essence of the poem altogether.

    ReplyDelete