Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Snow Day

This poem uses plenty of imagery to describe the setting in the poem. Even though I only saw real snow a handful of times, I can perfectly imagine the "Revolution of Snow." I like how it paints the picture of all the buildings and the train tracks being covered in snow and also describing the actions of the kid and his dog. Once it gets to the radio listening part, it gets kinda weird. All the school names are odd. It is as if the poet tried to think of the most whimsical names they could put. Ding-Dong School, Hi-Ho Nursery School, Tom Thumb Child center, Peanuts Play School. All these names put me in a playful mindset, like everything is just good. That's why the last line in the last stanza is so jarring.With all the kids playing in the previous lines these girls are just plotting by the fences on taking someone down. It really breaks the innocent and whimsical illusion the poet was making just with that one line.

1 comment:

  1. I like how your analysis has imagery in it also, I get a nice picture in my head of snow in a normal setting, something I haven't really seen myself too much of. I also like how you recognize the feel of the poem as whimsical and innocent and where it becomes clear that in this beautiful scenery, innocence is just an illusion.

    ReplyDelete