Thursday, February 18, 2016

Place poems

The first poem "Filing Station" is very interactive, she asks questions such as "do they live in the station?", "why the extraneous plant?", "why the taberet?" which not only prompts the reader to develop a visual of what is in the station and why it's there, but also it makes the reader feel as if they are standing there next to her. She reveals the characteristics of the place she is in first by commenting on its fifth, next by going through the items on the porch.
In "Camoflauging the Chamela", the author takes a different approach in describing place as the last poem I mentioned. He isn't interactive and he describes it as a first hand experienced not an onlooker. "We tied branches to our helmets."  With his metaphoric way of describing actions, such as "we wove ourselves into the terrain" and "we hugged bamboo and leaned ourselves against the breeze" readers get the opportunity to picture men navigating through the forest in close contact with nature in a descriptive way that is fun and keeps them interested.
The poem "Lying in a hammock" was definitley my favorite because I miss lying in my hammock and hope the cold weather stops soon lol! This one creates some intense imagery of a beautiful naturesque scene and ends quite somberly with "I have wasted my life." Almost every object he describes has a color to go with it, "bronze butterfly", "black trunk", "green shadow" , this helps with imagery also. And lastly, he makes a good use of idioms "distances of the afternoon", "field of sunlight", "droppings of last year's horses"- the first is almost somber, the second is full of brightness and the third is a bit confusing to me, but all of them bring about different moods within the same place which is really cool.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with what you said about "Lying in a hammock". Wright does use a lot of colors and idioms to try to give a very realistic image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth Bishop certainly does make you feel like you are standing right on spot as she describes the oil station by using variable descriptions. James Wright certainly also gives amazing description of beautiful scenary he sees as he lies on the hammock. The very last sentence "I have wasted my life" touches my heart. I automatically thought of in what posture and where I am reading the poem as I got to that sentence.

    ReplyDelete