Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Stillborn

I find it so interesting that Plath decided to portray this poem through the idea of a stillborn. However morbid of an idea it may be, it’s still so beautiful to read – the language just knocks me out. I also love this idea that “If they missed out on walking about like people/ It wasn’t for any lack of motherly love” (Plath). It may be a stretch, but this reminds me of the difficulties I feel with my own writing. Even though I tend and tend and tend to it, sometimes it’s just dead, or seemingly equivalent; Plath makes something beautiful out of this for me. I also love how this poem is essentially just a mix of metaphors and personification – two of my all-time favorite things to not only read, but to use in my own writing as well. I like how she uses rhymes sparingly in this poem. They only truly jump out at me in the 7th and 10th lines, with “part,” “heart,” and “start.” She also includes repetition, stating the same word multiple times within one line (i.e, “smile and smile and smile and smile”) which are effective as rhymes, but also great at really driving home a particular point within a small amount of space. This poem was not only a pleasure to read, but it borderlines on relatable for me, as well. I loved it.

3 comments:

  1. This poem was very touching. Her use of metaphor was amazing. She is a master! I also feel like she drives home how personal these poem are to her. There is a sweet poignance to this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This poem was very touching. Her use of metaphor was amazing. She is a master! I also feel like she drives home how personal these poem are to her. There is a sweet poignance to this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also think that her metaphor was just amazing. Thinking of her poetry as stillborn child hooked me into reading the poem and I felt her strong attachment toward her poems. She even mentions pickling fluid on the third line of second stanza, as if she wants to preserve her poem so preciously. Her choice of vocabulary on each of the poems are so strong that it grasps me all the time, and "Stillborn" was no exception at all.

    ReplyDelete