Monday, February 1, 2016

Blog 2: Mister Rogers

When the name "Mister Rogers" crosses my mind, I can confidently say "hero." While Junod's touching article portrays Mister Rogers as a messiah-type figure, it never loses track of his humanity. In one paragraph Junod dedicates a segment of his article to showing how Mister Rogers, just like everyone else, gets tired: "'Oh, please, sister,' Mister Rogers says. 'I'm done.' And now Margy comes up behind him and massages his shoulders. 'No, you're not,' she says. 'Roy Rogers is done. Mister Rogers still has a ways to go.'" I believe this was a crucial point in the article because it showed readers how Rogers must press on through his low-points in order to be the greatest he can be. It also goes to show just how exhausting the life Mister Rogers truly is, and as a result of Junod's showcasing of this exhaustive life, readers develop a greater sense of appreciation for the good deeds of Mister Rogers.

Furthermore, I enjoyed this article because it depicts the life Mister Rogers led as the television character and as the person behind the show. Specifically, I loved how the difference between Mister Rogers on screen hardly differed from Fred Rogers on the streets. In regards to the voice of the article, Junod's article appears to have been primarily spoken by Mister Rogers himself. Junod's diction throughout the piece is thought-invoking, gentle and not too loud, just as one would expect out of a conversation with Mister Rogers himself.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice analysis, I was so focused on how Junod makes his voice and Mr. Rogers' voice clear in his piece that I didn't even realize how he is idolizing Mr. Rogers while still making it clear that he is a normal human being. That is definitley something I want to do in my profile, thank you for pointing that out and showing how he does it, it's very helpful to me,

    ReplyDelete