Thursday, February 18, 2016

Meditation on Lagunitas

Meditation on Lagunitas by Robert Hass was a compelling poem filled with poetic techniques that enhanced the manner in which place was revealed and explored throughout the piece. Of all the poems presented, this particular one intellectually intrigued me due to its eloquent yet philosophical writing style. Within the speaker’s words are deeper, more profound meanings that made the poem seem that much more impactful.  Initially, the speaker attempts to persuade the reader into believing into his seemingly grandiose nature. He begins by comparing two different types of thinking which are “old thinking” and “new thinking” then starts to discuss general philosophical ideas.
Through his strategic use of syntax and diction, Hass is able to aid his readers in envisioning the image he attempts to fabricate. Place is revealed through Hass’s use of imagery and descriptive language. As opposed to the more common broad, showy nature of man, we see that Hass seemingly makes himself vulnerable. Although there is no apparent rhyme scheme within the poem, there is a certain flow to it and it makes the story that much more compelling. This point of view provides readers which sense of not only emotional pain but psychological pain.  One thing I didn’t really understand was his placement and choice of words he speaks of randomly. For example, he says, “justice,pine, hair, woman, you and I” and “blackberry, blackberry, blackberry”Towards the middle of the poem, the author then moves from his pompous tone and begins to inform the reader of his childhood and love life. I admired how quickly Hass changed his topic and went from one subject to another. It was almost as if the author was trying to build a certain relationship or bond with the reader by opening up and sharing his experience. I am better able to appreciate his work and experience through this poem and am empathetic with what he has to say, good or bad.

3 comments:

  1. I thought his placing of the words in the middle of the poem was really interesting, too. They seemed like short snippets of his time, or life, or just something significant about Lagunitas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved this poem. It drew me in with it's deeper, nostalgic feeling. The random words did break up the flow of the poem, but I felt he wanted to use this list to make his statement about his life "dissolving" more powerful. I also loved how he intertwined his childhood with how he loves this woman in such detail. It almost felt like I knew this woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved this poem. It drew me in with it's deeper, nostalgic feeling. The random words did break up the flow of the poem, but I felt he wanted to use this list to make his statement about his life "dissolving" more powerful. I also loved how he intertwined his childhood with how he loves this woman in such detail. It almost felt like I knew this woman.

    ReplyDelete