Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Workshop reflection

I thought workshop was a great opportunity to redefine what poetry really means. Poetry does not have to have a rhyme scheme, or sound nice, or make sense, or be sweet and censored; just as "love poems" don't have to be sappy but can be angry, sad, or have mixed emotions. Poetry does not have to stick to one speaker, tone, or mood-fluctuations actually make it more interesting. I think that hearing other people's poems, people who each have their own thoughts and feelings about similar things, was such a privilege because you don't always get to help others with their own writing process and get help with yours. Worshipping showed me how many different paths I could take in my one poem, and helped me to see how many different paths others could take in my opinion and in the others classmates opinions. It also showed me that their is no right and wrong way to go in poetry, understanding, relating and liking is subjective to each individual. Also, in almost every poem, there was a theme or line that anyone could relate to. The language of poetry is not always understood, but it is universal.

2 comments:

  1. I really like and agree with this idea of redefining poetry for the class through workshop. I think the class really learned a lot, not only about themselves and their own writing, but about the craft of poetry in general.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like and agree with this idea of redefining poetry for the class through workshop. I think the class really learned a lot, not only about themselves and their own writing, but about the craft of poetry in general.

    ReplyDelete