Friday, April 22, 2016

Joy Carol Oates

 “Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?” by Joyce Carol Oates
Blog 7: How does Oates create and maintain tension in this story?

There was an overwhelming amount of tension coming from Oate's in this story. We see even after the first line when the speaker introduces Connie that there is some kind of tension, backstory or perhaps mystery behind the name that we do not yet know of. Are they enemies? Friends? Why did the speaker use the word "was" instead of "is"? 

We proceed to monitor the dynamic between Connie and her mother- a rocky relationship so to speak, and between Connie and her sister. When I first started reading this, I was expecting a corny, yet modern twist to a teenagers life. But as I continued to read, I picked up on this buildup of foreshadowing and details that all made sense in the end. The tension levels kept rising as we are introduced to Arnold and hearing of his dangerous, sketchy demeanor. As soon as I met Arnold I knew something bad was going to happen to Connie- but only because Oates did well in conveying that underlying mystery/threat of danger that came up as the story progressed. Even his name is a red flag. Arnold Friend? Right when we meet him, I knew he wasn't going to be a "friend". I felt really shaken by the end because there are men like Arnold all over the world and victims like Connie who are threatened by these kind of people. 

Needless to say, I was stressed the entire time because I needed to know what happened next but then at the same time I was scared for Connie and didn't want to see her die, especially by rape/murder. That's an especially sensitive subject in this day and age for women Connie's age. 



No comments:

Post a Comment