Thursday, April 14, 2016

Silver Water

This story stayed consistently intriguing throughout, and I really appreciate that aspect about it. Especially in short stories, it can be such a small amount of space to make an impression, and this story really did that for me. I first felt tension when it is revealed that the narrator is looking back on her sister, and that this is how she wants her to be remembered. This really helped pull me in, because I was instantly ready to read on and find out what had happened to Rose. I was also pulled in by the idea of her family, as they all interact with the therapists. I found their sense of humor during the sessions to actually be quite warming; it gave a lot of good context about this family dynamic and I felt hope for the outcome. Also, I think the idea of a mentally unstable character is enough to pull a lot of people in. It is something interesting, that not a lot of people get to deal with or encounter on a daily basis, and I think it’s natural to be intrigued by those kinds of things. I absolutely felt the most tension when hearing about Rose’s antics in the hospitals, whether it was sex or throwing patients down flights of stairs. Although, perhaps it was more anxiety about what would happen next rather than tension, but either way, both feelings seemed to stay with me throughout the story. Which is also why it’s one of my favorites so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment