Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Writing Workshop

My initial thoughts on workshop before the week started was excitement because I never let anyone read my work so when we have to do it for class, I thought it would be fun, and it is. Having a room full of writers critiquing your work is a magical thing because no one is speaking to you for the grade. No one is helping you or tearing you down to be funny. Whatever they have to say, they feel like they want you to progress and succeed. That is my favorite part because that's what is so so scary about workshop, people critiquing your writing, but when they are respectful and helpful, it makes the whole process even more fun. The benefits of workshop are definitely getting some honest comments. Some people didn't hold back and that's what I needed. To hear the truth about their thoughts to fix any awkward phrases or helpful suggestions. The helpful feedback helped my poem stand on its own without being confused about the true meaning of the poem and I needed help with that. The feedback gives us perspective on how we write according to other readers and see the reactions without your input. We find our strengths and weaknesses through other eyes. That is fascinating.
The drawbacks of poetry workshop are obviously people critiquing your precious work. If you give out something personal to your life, they are going to try to fix it and make it sound better, but it will feel like they are critiquing your story written on the page. If you have a strong mind about the matter, the workshop could really help. This is like putting your soul on display for everyone to see and that takes bravery.
I love how as English majors we can sit in a circle and honestly give opinions and suggestions on how to make our work sound out even more. We can truthfully ask questions about our work and get honest answers, no judgement necessary. I love that about workshop and I hope this isn't the last time I get to participate in one.

1 comment:

  1. I really agree with you here! I loved your observation about how no one spoke for the grade but for the benefit of the writer. I really loved that about the workshop, too; the constructive honesty was a warm surprise.

    ReplyDelete