Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Extra Credit

I recently attended an incredible set of readings, courtesy of the Dogfish Reading Series. The venue was a whole other level of inviting, as it took place in the home of our host. I have never felt more welcome coming into a stranger's home before; I even had a piece of cake, a true indication of comfort for me. The company was unreal -- just a group of friends, old and new, gathered around to listen and support the local talent our vibrant city has to offer.
The night began with a wonderful show from Mr. Universe and his guitar, which was a really fun way to get started as people got their drinks, their food, and began to settle in. The featured readings followed his set promptly, which I really enjoyed and appreciated.
The featured readings ranged from a shocking piece about slavery, set many years ago but which clearly portrayed issues of race that are still active, still important, still killer today, and an unexpected twist on the idea of sisters and where they come from, what they go through, by our own Professor Groner, whose imagery left me with chills and an incessant urge to cheer, "That's my professor!" with pride.
I am still kicking myself for not staying for the open mic, but I intend to clear my schedule next visit. While this was my first time attending this series, it will not be my last. Perhaps I will even be on the list for the open mic soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment