Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Dogfish Reading Series

Last Thursday, I attended the Dogfish Reading series hosted in a beautiful home with food, drinks, and lots of writers. On a whim, Rachel and I decided to check out the setting and plus, we wanted to cheer on the lovely and talented, Professor Groner. She was one of the two featured readers sharing her work. I was truly amazed at how comforting and at home I felt, where other writers talked about their work and everyone just sat around and enjoyed the art of words.

I was personally inspired to be in a room full of such talented people that had the guts to share their work with the old and newcomers. We heard an empowering short story that revolved around the idea that race and poverty are still present today. Professor Groner shared a poem about the observations of a marine biologist and a short story about how sisters actually emerge from swamps. I felt so proud to call her my Professor even if I was concerned about my poem I had turned in the day before, after hearing these wonderful stories.

There were so many people present and yet, it felt so tranquil and that is why I am definitely returning. I have never been to a reading before last Thursday and I was astounded why I hadn't before. Although we did not stay for the open mic, I would love to stay longer next time, in preparation to listen to more words late into the night. Hearing people read their own writing sucks me in and I crave more. I'm so excited to return and get to know more people each visit. Things like this make me happy that I am a writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment